Thursday, January 15, 2009

On one hand and then again, on the other

My mom and I have an interesting relationship. I haven't seen her since 2002, we talk on the phone, I sent pics. That's about it. We don't have a typical mother-daughter thing. So, last year she called me and told me that they'd found a tumor behind her right eye. Knowing my mom as I do, I was a wee bit doubtful. Which in turn, brought out a whole bunch of guilt. She made me promise to not tell my grandmother and apologized for years of wrongs. Now, don't get me wrong I love my mom, but sorry's not gonna do it.

We moved to the area my mom grew up in this autumn, and she and I talked and it seemed as though she'd be moving here. Well, no. Instead, she's moved to the Houston area because there's a cancer clinic there. Because, you know, there aren't any cancer clinics around here or anything.

So, this is something I'm taking as a mixed blessing. I'm glad to not have my mom close because we'd probably end up killing each other within a month, but on the other hand... it'd be nice for my kids to get to know her.

0 comments: